Sunday, March 7, 2010

Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discover If Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big or Why Pie Is Not the Answer by Jen Lancaster



Whether you are overweight, underweight or somewhere in between Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster will keep you laughing throughout.

The book chronicles Lancaster’s journey to try to lose those extra fifty pounds and adopt a healthier life style; not that she isn’t fabulous just the way she is but because the doctor has ordered her to do so. But bear in mind readers this is not your mother’s diet book.

Jen’s writing style is very sarcastic and she makes no apologies for who she is, readily admitting to being a bitch of the first order. While I was reading her book I couldn’t help but feel like she was sitting right next to me telling me her story. I felt like I could relate to everything she said from her struggles to lose weight to her love of bad reality TV. What makes this book so different from other weight loss memoirs is Jen’s attitude. She isn’t self depreciating, she has no problem with the way she looks and wouldn’t be changing her life style if not for medical reasons.

"I want to change my life...except I sort of like it. I mean, I couldn't be more delighted every Monday night after Fletch goes to bed when I come downstairs, pull up the Bachelor on TiVo, drink Riesling, and eat cheddar/port wine Kaukauna cheese without freaking out over fat grams. I'm perpetually in a good mood because I do everything I want. I love having the freedom to skip the gym to watch a Don Knots movie on the Disney Channel without a twinge of guilt. I've figured out how to not be beholden to what other people believe I should be doing, and when the world tells me I ought to be a size eight, I can thumb my nose at them in complete empowerment."
-Jen Lancaster

From the moment I picked it up Jen's witty, sarcastic rhetoric held my attention and literally made me laugh out loud. I made the mistake of bringing this book to read on an airplane and numerous times I was laughing so hard I was crying- definitely earning me some strange looks from other passengers. If you're offended by a foul mouth and raunchy humor (think female David Sedaris), then this is probably not the best book for you. Otherwise get yourself a copy and several other copies for all your girlfriends… It is a must read for anyone who is looking for a real look at life that will make you laugh and laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment